Sunday, February 5, 2012

Starting Fresh

Today - I was inspired to start FRESH. I picked up one of my quilts from Shelley De Hay Turner. She does such an amazing job of machine quilting. It has inspired me to start getting busy sewing again. I have a plan for it to be entered into our quilt show in the spring.
A lily pad and bull rushes quilt. With applique - beading and embroidery. Who knows how far it will get along - or even if I will enter it - but it has some direction now that the background is ready.
I haven't been quilting of late.

Unfortunately - our mother recently was diagnoses with Alzheimer's. We have had to empty her condominium and help her to move to a seniors residence. She is struggling coming to an understanding of her illness. She is a hoarder. Yes, I have seen it on TV, and couldn't believe it. Though a neat one - with everything packed into cupboards. She is a hoarder. I was in shock it is absolutely - unbelievable how much "stuff" she has packed. Not an inch of unused space. Beautiful antiques from our grandmother, items her and our father had collected and refinished over the years - but all the same way too much "stuff". We have been there for over 3 weeks almost nightly and on weekends packing up all of her special items.

My youngest sister is an absolute angel through out all of this. She has us all working to make things the best they can for our mother. Her energy and positive outlook is unrelenting. We are all very lucky that she is here guiding us through this. Her children and husband have spent days at the condo moving items up and down the elevator - packing boxes without a single complaint. They really are special, I knew this before, but even more so now that our family is going through this.

Our daughter is coming home on Tuesday night - she has spent the last year on an Olympic Campaign. Unfortunately they did not make it - however, the journey has been incredible for her. She has never given up and always tried her best. Her effortless determination is admirable. She is a quilter as well - though not as driven as I am - her colour sense is unsurpassed. She will be able to help me with my "Where is Henry" Quilt.

Having to go - but will try to post and update on our other daughter and quilting soon.

1 comment: